What’s really holding you back from losing weight? Denver Medical Weight Loss Experts Share Their Insights
When you walk in our doors, you’re surrounded by people who have felt similar things to you: something has held them back from losing weight. We’ve all felt frustrated from time to time about our weight loss not going as fast as we’d like. But, the truth is, there’s a lot that goes into weight loss and there really can be a variety of things that might be holding you back.
- Mindset. Positive attitudes go a long way when you’re doing any sort of weight loss plan. You have to shift your focus from quick, lightning results, to steady, health-focused results. You may have setbacks, which is completely normal. But whenever we have setbacks or things go a little slower than we’d hoped, we can find ourselves thinking all is lost! No! This is normal. You just have to shift your mindset to give yourself a little bit of grace and keep pushing ahead.
- Skipping Meals. We know…it seems a little opposite of what conventional thought tells you, but skipping meals is actually hurting your metabolic rate more than helping it. At the beginning you may feel like you’re eating all the time, even when you’re not hungry. The difference is that you’ll be eating foods that will keep your metabolism firing regularly, rather than stopping and starting at different points in the day.
- Putting Life On Hold. You don’t necessarily have to restrict your entire lifestyle to change your diet, but many feel they have to set hard boundaries. The truth is that family will come into town and want to eat out, or you’ll have to travel for work, or some other situation will come up where you are in a situation of temptation or difficulty. But, there ARE ways to eat out and stick with your nutrition plans. There ARE ways to handle the temptations of the birthday treats brought into your break room. We’re not asking you to escape everyday life in order to eat healthy, but it will take a few extra seconds to figure out how you will respond. Our goal is not make you put your life on hold, but to really be able to live your life the way you dream of.
- Isolation. If you’re trying to lose significant weight on your own, we know you’ll struggle…a lot! Accountability and encouragement are two key parts to losing weight. You simply need other people cheering you on and helping your strategize the next phase of your weight loss.
- Hormones. Your hormones play a huge role in how your body will react to nutrition changes or exercise. Hormonal imbalances often “trick” your body into thinking certain things, which cause the body to continue to store fat. We often see people who have tried all sorts of things and are eating well and exercising, but STILL haven’t lost the weight they need. When we look at their hormone levels, often we see that there is something off there that is blocking them from being fully successful. When we get the hormones treated, we can have more effective weight loss.
We all have different things that hold us back. For you, it might be one of these things we listed out; for others it might be all. That’s why a custom plan that has a comprehensive approach is key for successful weight loss. You’re unique. Shouldn’t your weight loss strategy be unique as well?